Saturday, December 13, 2008

IT Support

I am not computer savvy. At all. There are so many things I would like to be able to do like edit pictures (crop, lighten, make my face less round) and just in general fix things when they go wrong. Anytime I ask someone how to do anything computer related, I try to listen to their answer but I just can't. It is like a wall goes up. My brain has a self-protective mechanism where it automatically filters out anything that might be too complicated for me.

Luckily, I have live-in IT Support (Karl) on hand. I have discovered some things about IT Support though. Tell him something like, "I can't get on the internet," or "the printer isn't working" and he is all over it. The service is great and we are up and running in no time. However, when I go to him with a request like, "do you want to help me organize these 534,620 pictures of the kids into a digital scrapbook complete with clip art and captions?" the service is somewhat lacking.

So yesterday I decided it would be really fun to make a cd of all of our favorite Christmas songs. When I told Karl he looked at me like I was insane. So I decided to be all independent and make it myself. I spent an hour on Bearshare searching for songs and adding them to my playlist. Feeling extremely pleased with my self I clicked 'burn.' Nothing happened.

I mentioned it to IT Support (secretly hoping he would just take my list and make it for me.) But no, I think he is trying to force me to do things for myself. Boo! He did offer this advice, " The something something has to be compatible with the something something something. Try googling something something something."
Yeah, I don't think that is going to work.



Update: IT Support looked at my laptop and he is not happy. Apparently Bearshare infiltrated my computer causing a whole host of problems. It took him an hour to fix. Oops. See, that is why I shouldn't be messing with things.

6 comments:

Aunt Nancy said...

looks like you are doing a fine job.....keep up the good work....It is fun reading about your family.

ScottMathew said...

pictures...... You do know that your next older cousin probably knows the picture editing programs in and out .I dont think she lives that far from you either. Maybe you can bribe her with hotdogs and macaroni and cheese ? LOL!

Carissa said...

Scott-LOL.How did I not think of Becky? I will have to ask her for reccomendations on what program would be good. She should hold out for a steak or something though.

Carissa said...

Have to give a hi to Aunt Nancy too! :) Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

I totally relate to all that is going on in your household. This is a great idea, fun reading and keeps you close to me. I tried sending this before. If you get two, Just remember my age.
Love you bunches, Frances

Carissa said...

Frances- Yes I bet you can relate! I imagine you have quite a few stories of your own. Thanks so much for reading! Love you too.