Friday, December 26, 2008

Oh the drama...

Alexandria got a secret message book for Christmas. The pages are blank and you color over them with a special pen to see what is written. One of the sections was supposed to predict your future, you color on a certain spot to see where you will live, how many kids you will have, etc.

Karl and I were talking this afternoon when Annika came running in the room with tears streaming down her face.

Me: Annika! What is the matter?

Annika (sobbing): Alex'sbooksaidIwuliveonaboatinNewYorrrrrrkandIdon'twanttooooooooo!

Me: What? Slow down.

Annika: Alex's book said I would live in New York on a boat and I don't waaaaaant toooooo! (more crying.)

I explained that the book was just for fun and I played a similar game when I was little (remember MASH?) which predicted I would live in a mansion in Hawaii with my two kids. So I assured her that these things are not all that reliable and are certainly nothing to get worked up over. But I was curious why she was that upset over living in New York. "It is too crowded and the lines are so long!" she cried.

It was predicted that Ian would be a farmer who lived in a tent(?) The book said he would not be rich but assured us that he would "have lots of fun." Ian was having none of it. He said he did not want to be a farmer, because he is going to be a bear when he grows up.

No comments: