Friday, March 20, 2009

More bedtime woes

We have been having some bedtime issues with Ian. I put him to bed around 8 or 9 and he stays awake for hours upstairs yelling, pestering the girls and just causing trouble in general. Tuesday night I put him to bed at 8. I fell asleep about 11 and was awakened at 12:30 by a clattering noise in the kitchen. I went in to see what it was and was surprised to see Ian sitting at the kitchen table playing with Moon Sand. Does that make me sound too negligent? Like one of those moms who is asleep on the couch in the middle of the day and the police knock on her door after they find her naked 2 year old wandering down the highway? But honestly, I don't know what to do, other than sit in a chair outside his door all night. So my thought is that maybe he is just not tired at all when I put him to bed. Which, as much as it pains me to think this, might mean it is time to give up his nap. Sigh...I love his naptimes. It is so quiet and peaceful. And if there is no naptime, that means I am on duty from 7 am to 9 pm with no break from entertaining, fetching drinks and food and fielding demands. But I can't have him up all hours of the night either. So today, we are seeing what happens when we forgo the nap.
Here is how I found him when I went to call him for dinner:



He only slept for about 10 minutes though, so that doesn't count. It is now 10 pm and I still hear little footsteps upstairs. He should be exhausted. He played hard at the park, then running around the house with his friend. We went to the library, then to Grandmas. I am worn out, why isn't he?

Update: It is now 10:30 and he is asleep. Still far to late for a four year old to stay up in my opinion.

2 comments:

ZJason42 said...

you gotta watch out for those little 10-15 minute power naps, those are sometimes just a reenergizing as two to three hour naps.

Watts said...

We had the same problem over here....nothing a well fitting babygate couldn't take care of though. Great picture though.