1. I should not be allowed downtown by myself. EVER. I get lost every single time. And I am so busy trying to figure out where I am and where I think I need to be that I drive really, really poorly. Which leads to:
2. You can't make a left turn from the right hand lane going the wrong way on a one way street. Especially not when there is a car in the left hand lane.
3. There are some really kind people out there! The gentleman whose mirror I knocked loose (see #2) told me not to worry about it. Whew!
4. If you want to get out of jury duty, declaring to the judge and the lawyer, "I shouldn't even be here. I don't know nothin' about nothin' you all are talking about!" will definitely work. And no, it wasn't me that said that.
5. If you park in a parking garage and get the early bird $4 special (for arriving before 9am and leaving before 7 am) for the love of Pete DON'T leave said garage for your lunch break. You then will have to get a whole new ticket and won't be eligible for the early bird special, thereby potentially costing yourself an additional $12.*
6. It actually is kind of fun spending an entire day not dealing with bathroom messes, refereeing arguments between kids, cooking, cleaning, fetching drinks and snacks and tripping over toys.
7. It was also kind of fun to spend the day with adults, talking about grown up things.
8. But it was even nicer to come home and have four kids coming running at me with hugs, telling me they missed me.
* In another of a long line of many things that make me go "huh"-that whole parking situation was mystifying. So I leave the parking lot, and when I get back I park in a different lot, which was closer to the courthouse. The sign said it would cost me $12. I get my ticket and go along my merry way. At 7pm I go to leave and when I hand the attendant my ticket and try to pay her, she just waves me on. So it cost nothing? Huh. So I only paid $4 for parking all day. Plus I made $6 for doing 11 hours of jury duty, netting myself $2. Sweet!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Carissa, thanks so much for sharing your "big city" experience (indep isnt so bad afterall is it). God does work in mysterious ways doesn't he i.e. parking.
Hi Carissa! my name is Ella (Fergason) MacDonald. My parents are Charles and Heidi, and we have been friends with the McKillip's for years! All that to say, I found your blog through Erin's and have been laughing my way through it for a while now!! :) Just wanted to introduce myself and let you know how much I enjoy your blog!
Hi Ella! I have heard a lot about you and seen pictures of your sweet boys. You have a beautiful family.
Barry- I'll take Independence any day after trying to make my way around downtown!
Post a Comment