Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Annika is smart. Mommy.... not so much.

Annika has been working on a project for school and has been famous people in history. She had to pick three and then after she researches them will choose one to dress as and she will give a speech as that character. She has chosen Amelia Earhart, Pablo Picasso and Georgia O'Keefe. To preface this little story, let me first say that I am not knowledgable about art in any way. My last art class was in elementary school and I don't think I paid that much attention even then. Anyway...

To encourage her evident interest in art,I decided to show her some artwork on the computer. We looked at some of VanGogh's work and then O'Keefes. I then pulled up some of Picasso's so she could see them.


I thought a 7 year old might find some of them a little strange or funny since they aren't all your typical portraits. I said "Annika,some of these are really different, huh?"
Her response?
"Actually Mommy, Picasso was a Cubist. That means he takes parts of the image and puts them in different places. That is why they look like that."

Oh. I knew that. Really.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I did a report on georgia okeefe for school!! she was my absolute FAVORITE after going to the dallas museum of art and seeing her paintings in real life...and ROOM SIZE!!