Monday, June 15, 2009

Does this shirt offend you?



It really really bothers Ian when I wear it. He hates it. I got it from my mom and the first time I wore it he badgered me with questions- why was I wearing Grandma's shirt, why did she give it to me, why did I have to wear it. He complained all day about how much he didn't like it. I forgot about it until a few days later when I put it on one morning while Ian was still sleeping. I kid you not when he woke up the first words out of his mouth were a stern "I told you not to wear that shirt."
The next time I wore it I knew it would cause a ruckus, but I don't like taking clothing orders from a four year old, so I threw it on to run to the store. As I was bent over Ian buckling his carseat he looked me over and said sadly, "You look horrible."

Now me being me, I couldn't help but wonder if I could some how use this to my advantage. I know time-outs or taking away privileges don't work with Ian as punishments, but what about threatening him with the shirt? "If you don't pick up your toys, I am going to go put on Grandma's shirt!" I bet he would do whatever I ask him, that is how much he hates this shirt.

4 comments:

chandra said...

kids are great aren't they? i don't know why you won't take fashion tips from ian. i think we should ask stacey and clinton and see what they think lol

Unknown said...

Maybe he's the next Ralph Lauren?!

Charles and Heidi said...

My 5 year old grandson,Hudson, has similar fashion sense. I am embarrassed to tell you that I have rid my closet of several items that he cannot bear to see me wearing. Sadly, in my heart, I know he is right. He has much better taste than I do.
I do like the idea of using this to your advantage. Please blog on this if you decide to follow through.

Carissa said...

Awww that is cute Heidi. I think with Ian it is that he doesn't like things that do not follow his sense of order. I should not be wearing Grandma's shirt (even though she gave it to me, I should not wear church shirts on non-church days etc. If his gripes were based on my lack of fashion sense he would be complaining all day every day, lol.