Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Ian and the doctor
I had to take all the kids to the doctor on Monday so they could get their seasonal flu/H1N1 shots. I knew Alexandria and Annika would be okay with it and Elizabeth of course is really too little to know what is going on and can be calmed down fairly easily afterwards, but Ian...I knew there would be drama. As I saw it there were a few choices in how to handle it. I could tell him beforehand that he would be going to the dr. and getting shots. This, however, would have resulted in relentless whining and griping until the appointment. It also would give him extra time to get good and worked up over it. The other choice was to not say anything, and just take him in and let him find out there. This would probably make future dr. appointments horrible because he would be suspicious that I was going to trick him again. So I chose a compromise, which was to tell him on the way there. He completely flipped out and I had to literally drag him out of the elevator and over to the check in window. The whole time he is crying and screaming "I DON'T WANT A SHOT!" Once we got in the room it took THREE adults to hold him down so the nurse could give him the shots. So embarrassing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I was that way with shots when i was a kid. My Dr. told me once when i was there that i had to get a shot and he would be right back and then he left the room and came back a few minutes later and i was completely flipping out crying and he was like I was just kidding. lol you don't do that to a kid!!
Post a Comment